A little while ago, we updated our password policy and we want to take the time to explain the changes, as well as our motivation.
Passwords are a necessary evil. They are a shared secret that allows you to access private information. From your bank records to your winemaking data, it's pretty safe to say that if you have private information that can be accessed on the internet, it is protected with a password.
InnoVint cares about your data. We will continue to follow industry recommended security standards and practices as we look to keep your data safe and provide our industry leading winemaking experience.
Our recent changes are in line with modern password standards, and are as follows:
- We do not allow password that match a list of commonly used passwords. There is a list of 20,000+ commonly used passwords. The list was made by comparing passwords from breaches that have happened all over the web.
- We no longer require you to have uppercase, lowercase, numbers and special characters in your password.
- We do not force you to change your password after a period of time.
- We enforce a password length of at least 16 characters.
- We lock you account after 3 consecutive failed login attempts. You can easily reset your password by clicking on the link. We will send you an email and in under a minute you can have a new password and log in to InnoVint.
A 16 character password is 8 million times harder for a computer to crack than a 12 character password.
To come up with a password you could think of a group of loosely related words. Maybe it’s your weekend chore list. You might need to:
- Pick up groceries
- Mow the lawn
- Go to swimming lessons
- Attend soccer practice
Odds are you don't need a list written on paper to remember these items. These aren't words that are commonly related (like not all winemaking terms), but you can easily make a mental list that you remember:
Congratulations, you've come up with a 30 character password that's easy for you to remember and very hard for a computer to crack.